The meetings of the Court Leet, Court Baron and the feudal courts for administration of justice within the Manor, were revived in 1915.  These take place annually with traditional ceremony for the appointment of high Bailiff and other officers of the Court. In 1976 under a new statute this court became exempt from the Act which abolishes extinct and antiquated courts, and so will continue to meet annually to elect its officers.  The Guild Hall Trust which owns the Guild Hall and other property in the town and also maintains the Riverside Garden in Beaudesert Lane, is also administered at this time.

The Guild Hall and walled garden can be viewed on application to the custodian at the Guild Cottage, through the passage to the north of the Guild Hall and on the right hand side.  The very beautiful garden is entered though the grille gate in the passageway.

 

The Court Leet is presided over by the Lord of the Manor, Mrs Robin Hardy-Freed, daughter of the American lumber millionaire Mr Joseph Hardy of Nemacolin, Pennsylvania.  The latter bought the title at auction in London in 1992 and has shown great interest in and affection for Henley.  Through his generosity the Guild Cottage has been renovated and he has provided substantial sums to create a Heritage Centre for the town and its visitors.

The De Montfort Lodge meets at Henley-in-Arden's Guild Hall. The Guild Hall is a half timbered Elizabethan building and stands to the north of St. John's Church and although extensive restoration has taken place, many of the original timbers remain.

©2019

De Montfort Lodge

No. 5155

De Montfort Lodge

No. 5155

The Province of Warwickshire