Freemasons have been associated with Henley-in-Arden for over two hundred years.

In 1791 the Masonic governing body issued a warrant allowing the formation of St. John's Lodge, its base being the “Talbot” on the High Street. In the intervening years the Lodge, along with many others, transferred to the main masonic building in Birmingham and it was not until 1927 that a group of Masons proposed a new Lodge in the village.

 

Being required to adopt a different name the Lodge called itself 'De Montfort', after Henley's first Lord of the Manor, Thurston de Montfort. Its first meeting was held in the Guild Hall and the Lodge continues to meet there until the present day.

 

The link between the Lodge and Guild Hall is a close one, indeed our records show that at the turn of the last century, when the hall was used as a home and business premises, one of the Lodge members had been born there. The majority of De Montfort members still live or work locally.

 

De Montfort Lodge holds its regular lodge meetings monthly, seven times a year from October to April.  Regular lodge meetings are followed by dinner or 'Festive Board' at the White Swan Hotel, conveniently situated opposite the Lodge. Additionally, we meet monthly during our Masonic season for 'Lodge of Instruction', an informal practice of Masonic ritual , and 'Past Masters and Officers Meeting' in which we discuss the activities and future plans of the De Montfort Lodge. All lodge members are encouraged to attend.

©2019

De Montfort Lodge

No. 5155

De Montfort Lodge

No. 5155

The Province of Warwickshire